For all the picky eaters out there who don’t like their fruits and vegetables, the pill form of fruits and vegetables may sound like a great idea.
Or, it may sound appealing to those who have a busy lifestyle and can’t seem to eat enough produce in the day.
But, how can one little pill replace all that nutrition that we get in cups of fruits and vegetables?
When it sounds too easy to be true, it probably is. Good nutrition takes planning and a conscious effort. We can’t simply pop a pill to fix our diet.
This is the same with multivitamins–a lot of people supplement with multivitamins to make sure they get what they need in the day. However, it is always best to try to eat the most balanced diet and get our vitamins and minerals that way. Hundreds of years ago, humans never had magic pills to fix their diets. We simply need to work on eating plenty of fruits and vegetables with a varied diet.
The most popular fruit and vegetable pill is Juice Plus. So, what is in this popular pill, and why is it ineffective?
- Made from the dehydrated juice of 17 different fruits, vegetables, and grains.
- The chewables contain added sugars.
- The sugar, salt, fiber, calories are removed.
- Fibers and enzymes are added back in to the pill.
- Contains a variety of vitamins and minerals, but not all vitamins and minerals.
- No information is available for the quantities of the ingredients.
- There are no studies that show Juice Plus is more effective than other forms of supplementation.
When we consume the whole fruit or vegetable, we eat the live food with fiber. That fiber is the key. Recent studies have shown that eating that fiber directly from the fresh produce is the key to absorbing the most phytochemicals, enzymes, and antioxidants. An added bonus is that fresh fruits and veggies keep you fuller for less calories!
Have you tried taking a pill form of fruits and vegetables?