Starbucks Coffee’s Shocking Caffeine Amounts

2218-starbucks-coffee-cup.jpg

Starbucks is renowned for having some fairly calorie-dense drinks.

However, Calories aren’t the only place Starbucks boasts big numbers. Caffeine amounts are also awe inspiring.

It might even be enough to make you quit drinking coffee (find out how to do that).

How Do They Do It?

For those that drink Starbucks, you know that they make one bold cup of brewed coffee.

Although some people assume that this is because of the dark roasted coffee beans, it is also due to the amount of ground coffee used in the brewing process.

According to a former Starbucks employee, they use almost double the ground coffee generally recommended when brewing filtered coffee. This in turn greatly increases the caffeine content as well as the flavor of Starbucks coffee.

We have compiled a table of most popular Starbucks coffees to show you where the caffeine lies. Surprisingly it’s not espresso, but brewed coffee which is most caffeine dense.

If you buzz after drinking a venti brewed coffee, here’s why……

Beverage Caffeine (mg)

415
Brewed Decaf Coffee
Caffè Americano
150
225
300
Caffè Latte (also Cinnamon Dolce Latte)
150
150
Caffè Mocha (also flavored Mocha’s)
175
180
Cappucino
150
150
Caramel Macchiato
150
150
Chocolate Milk
Espresso
75 (solo)
150 (doppio)
Espresso Macchiato (also Espresso con Panna)
75 (solo)
150 (doppio)
Frappuccino Blended Coffee (multiple flavors)
130
Frappuccino Light Blended Coffee (multiple flavors)
125
Hot Chocolate
Awake Tea Latte
140
Chai Tea Latte
120
Green Tea Latte
110
Rooibos Tea Latte
White Hot Chocolate

Keep Reading

On some level Starbucks fascinates us. Here’s some other articles that we’ve written about the coffee giant.

Many thanks to the caffeine database for some of this data.

1. C.L

I drink a triple grande non fat w/ whip mocha EVERYDAY and I am so afraid I am doing some harm to my body but I am so HOOKED to it. I am going to try to wean. I am spending @ least 50 a week on the stuff…. HELP!

2. Jamie

@andy

Yes, with any brand of coffee the darker roasts will have less caffeine. The caffeine burns out during the roasting process, so morning blends (à la the Breakfast Blend) will have the most caffeine, because they’re roasted less, and French or dark roasts the least.

– Jamie

3. andy

your right , I have been drinking that everyday for awhile now , I think i am going to reduce!

4. andy

So what is the caffien content of a dark brewed coffe at startbucks, in other words the “bold” brew, I heard it is less then the mild, is this true?

5. How Much Caffeine

Some great info is on this site, I went through our studies and see that our numbers and yours are dead on. Keep up the great work and I look forward to reading more of your stories!

Caffeine KING!

6. Nik

I am huge coffee fan myself and since a student in research I usually have high requirements of caffeine to get a quick start for the day. I love Starbucks but with soaring prices gotta stop that soon and reduce to sweet 1 a day

7. wildflower

caffine helps with asthma ,since i started drinking coffie ,i have no prob with my asthma ,before i drank it i had very bad asthma ,so coffie is good and helps

8. Zay?flama

I always find it interesting to see actual nutrition data from major food/drink retailers. I wish more of this would be commonly available to the general public.

9. ADSL Ba?vuru

10. k

Please make available at Starbucks, decaffeinted chai lattes or chai tea misto lattes. Pleeeeeeeeeeease!!!
    (You’re killing me!)

11. Renee

All Tea contains caffeine unless it is HERBAL tea (like Celestial Seasonings). Green and black teas do, however, have less caffeine than coffee.
    –Nutritionist

12. Chris

If you want to limit your caffeine intake, GO to Starbucks:

Espresso content – Starbucks vs Caribou:
    Small (or the pretentious and misleading ‘large’ at Starbucks) = 1 shot at both
    Medium – 2 shots at both
    Large – 2 shots at Starbucks, 3 shots at Caribou.

At Starbucks, you pay extra for….milk.

I hate Starbucks.

13. TravelGeek

Hats off to you Terrance – Well said

14. Supplements Canada

15. Vetta

I recently had kidney stone surgery and caffeine is tabu so I inquired prior to purchasing and was actually told that the Chai Tea Latte and Green Tea Latte contained no caffeine by a Starbuck’s employee. Hum? And as for their coffee,yuck!

16. JJ Currie

Too much caffeine will really increase the levels of tinnitus for people who suffer from ringing ears. There are other millions of individuals who are suffering from it, and it can occur to people of all ages. So make sure you are not drinking too much coffee…

17. J

First of all, a Venti is double the size of a serving. So if you’re talking one cup of coffee 250 mg for a regular cup of coffee. Most coffee from home will have somewhere between 150-200 mg. That’s why they tell pregnant women to have one cup a day. One cup will not do you any harm.

And for all of those who say the coffee sucks, have you had it more than once? Sometimes you need to change the flavor in order to find something that fits you. Everyone wants their coffee different.

18. CofeRox

Coffee rocks. Drink a cup or two a day and enjoy a much more productive day. Stop fighting the sleepies in the name of health and actually be a productive, interesting person. Stop hatin’, keep drinkin’!

19. jees

caffiene is good for you ive been drinking it for years and my dad drinks more than me he is almost 80 yrs and no health problems..

20. Ronnie McStarbucks

Don’t buy into any of this hype! Drink a Starbuck’s every day! It’s good for you. Nothing better than a Big Mac washed down with a piping hot latte.

21. janelle berg

(You’re killing me!)

22. Amanda

Isn’t the amount of caffeine in Starbuck’s brewed coffee about double the normal? I wondered how I could go from “ewww, Starbucks coffee is burnt, disgusting, swill” to “all other coffee is water.” I thought it might be a hidden ingredient of crack-cocaine…close but not quite.

23. mda

i had a starbucks venti regular coffee today for the first time. i have never felt so terrible in my life. i was on the verge of throwing up and felt that way for a good 2 or 3 hours. i thought it would help me study for a critical final exam, but i couldn’t concenrate at all let alone keep my hands from shaking. i am never drinking starbucks again. energy drinks dont even top 250 mg of caffeine and they get so much bad rep for having too much caffeine in them that they are bad for you.

24. Terrance

I have been in the coffee business for 20 years now. I have done everything from working a farm through all seasons and owned a retail roaster specialty coffeehouse and now custom roast small batches of coffee that i sell all over the world. Caffiene is good for you and never think it isn’t. 15 and 20 year studies now being released show reductions in risk of colon cancer for men and breast cancer for women and is now believed to be a great benefit against alzheimers due to the constant stimulation to the brain cells. It also aids in colon cleansing, as many of you know. If you are sensitive to coffee then limit your intake, but having 10 cups a day throughout the day will not kill you or harm you. Also, buy from a roaster who knows what they are doing. and about fair trade, it isn’t as fair as you would think it to be. Even though fair trade is meant to guarantee the farmer a fair price for his crops he is aften taxed this gain away by brokers and processors, so many times you are just giving extra money to them and not the farmer. Most farms are mearly 4 acres worldwide and farmers like everywhere struggle to survive. Same as with certified organic, it cost around $8 K to certify your farm and most farms, like high altitude Arabica farms don’t use pesticides or synthatic fertilizers because they don’t need them nor can they afford them. Most Arabicas are 100% organic so if you buy just fair trade and just organic you hurt hundreds of thousands of farmers. Get to know your local roasting houses and buy from those you trust and don’t trust Charbucks, they have bought some of the worst low-lying farms yielding marginal crops that their lower quality can be covered by their dark roasting techniques, why else do you think they overroast everything? For futher info contact me at terrance@coffeecultureonline.com.

25. tenspeedsf

Care to post an exposé of the amount of calories and sugar in your average Jamba Juice? 😉

26. Jason

My favourite is an affogato. A short espresso with ice cream!

27. Christine

Meh, I’m not worried about my caffeine intake. I drink a cup of coffee in the morning and maybe 2 cups of tea in the afternoon. I never drink Starbucks (first, because we don’t have one here and secondly, they’re too expensive. Dude! When I do visit a Chapters with a SB, I’ll split a mocha with DH, but that’s maybe once a year or less)

28. Robyn

I used to be a huge coffee junkie. I am talking like four pots a day. Then I decided that I didn’t want to ingest caffine anymore so I stopped cold turkey. For the past two years I have been caffine free. I will drink decafe and am fully aware that there is a certain percentage of caffine in that but on the whole I haven’t drank anything with caffine in a long time. I can tell you that your body does not need it. I have worked night jobs for the past six years and people are always amazed when they find out that I don’t eat or drink anything caffinated. What I can tell you is that too many things that we eat are over loaded with it. You have to be very careful about what you buy in order to avoid it. But if you get off caffine you do notice some good changes. One is that your mind is actually more alert and focused. Caffine does provide alot of people with a kickstart but the down time from that is pretty hard on your system. When you don’t take in caffine you don’t experience this. Also I find that painkillers are much more effective at lower doses. This is a substance that we just don’t need to put in our bodies. With all the other crap that we ingest on a daily basis why pump more into our already overdosed systems? Plus if you have kids like I do I have no issue with them drinking anything that I have because I know that there is no caffine in it. Their little bodies definately cannot handle it. Just my two cents in the matter. I will admit that Starbucks makes a killer decaf frappacino but that is something that I may only have once a year.

29. blest

Caffeine has many health benefits as long as you can tolerate it and don’t have other contra-indications. (certain illnesses and such)

For me – it’s my treat, it’s my comfort, and it’s my Ritalin. (no joke. Severe ADD here) Far better than a lot of other comfort habits.

I mean- a nonfat latte isn’t going to blow your diet like a carton of ice cream!

30. Kailash

Sleep and proper nutrition > Coffee

31. Courtney B

I’ve always wondered about the caffeine content in the Chai Tea Lattes. I’m amazed how much caffeine is in a simple cup of coffee there!

I agree that Starbuck’s coffee tastes like tar, but some people like to drink tar, I guess.

32. Croc

I love Starbucks and Neros coffees, but owing to the costliness of them, and the fact I tend to go for the most fattening kinds, I have to limit them to once a week tops. As a result of rarely drinking coffee I have no caffeine tolerance so a small cup is guaranteed to send me loopy. Looking at these figures explains why!

33. top weight loss site

Always getting a brewed coffee and the venti size I new it had a lot of coffee but had no idea it had that much. No wonder people get addicted to this so-called “good morning” drink. I love starbucks but I might have to watch the amount of coffee I drink in a day.

34. Israel

starbucks is on my list on places to never enter again.

35. Zach

Caffeine is not a horrible thing in moderation, however, you don’t want to be downing 10 cups of coffee every single day. It is actually quite beneficial before a workout or just in the morning to give you a quickstart.

36. susan

Who can afford Starbucks? I drink one cup at home in the morning and that’s it for the day.

37. Alexandra

I did some math just now and realized that maybe I should be worried…but somehow I cannot be. The commenter before mentioned how coffee makes them feel unlike their usual selves. For me it’s the exact opposite : without my (now worryingly) large intake of caffeine, I’m unlike myself and people notice. Once again, I feel this should worry me but it doesn’t.

38. Spectra

Holy cripes, no wonder I get the jitters when I get a Venti coffee from Starbucks….415 mg of caffeine!! I usually drink decaf or mix it half and half. I think Starbucks’ coffee is WAY too strong anyways. I try to avoid it whenever possible.

39. Pi

starbucks actually does carry fair trade coffee, but they’re never offered as “coffee of the day” and they’re not advertised in store. ironically enough, the darker the roast, the less caffeine it contains. lighter roasts always have more caffeine. which is why when I really want the most caffeine for my buck I go to Ancora for an iced zombie made with cafe bianco.

40. soozeequeue

I gave up for the most part drinking coffee, especially with caffeine, a few years ago. Last year someone brought a starbucks coffee to a meeting for me and, forgetting what the consequences would be, I drank it. I was so zipped on caffeine afterwards I could barely drive and felt compelled to explain to the people at my next meeting the reason I might seem kind of agitated! Even the decaf at Starbucks makes me feel like I’ve had too much caffeine. And the taste of their coffee is disgusting. Those beans are not roasted, they are burnt. I can drink a half-decaf half-real from good old Tim Hortons and I am fine.

I don’t think Starbucks uses Fair Trade coffees either and more and more I won’t buy coffee if it’s not FT.