Slim For Life is the latest book from Jillian Michaels, The Biggest Loser trainer and author of Master Your Metabolism.
Jillian also has a successful online diet program, but let’s see what new “wisdom” she offers in Slim for LIfe.
The first thing I thought was, “what new information can this book possibly give to us?”
There are endless diet books out there and Slim For Life seems to have general healthy dieting tips, but nothing too out of the ordinary.
Slim for Life is not really a diet plan, but more of a list of all of Jillian Michaels’ slimming suggestions.
Her Top 10 Tips to Stay Slim For Life
- Keep a food journal consistently for 2 weeks. This will bring key food calories to your attention and get you started on a good routine.
- Discriminate—don’t eliminate your foods. Deprivation diets never work. Jillian suggest substituting in a food that leaves you feeling fuller longer that is comparable to the food you would have been craving. Avoid chemicals in foods as well.
- Do not skip meals, but also do not graze all day long. Jillian suggests eating a snack or meal every four hours. Grazing all day can lead to overconsumption, but skipping can slow the metabolism or leave you feeling overly hungry.
- Follow the 80/20 rule. 80 percent healthy. 20 percent wiggle room.
- It doesn’t matter what time you exercise as long as you are staying consistent.
- To get in a bigger calorie burn in a short period of time, try high intensity interval training (HIIT).
- Get your back. Jillians suggests supporting yourself, be your own friend, and treat yourself to plenty of non-food options like a massage. This helps to avoid food indulgences!
- Build a kitchen toolbox. This means having food storage containers, measuring cups, a food scale, steamer, and herbs ready to go. Without the essentials, we are not setting up ourselves for successful home eating.
- Bring your workout with you when you travel. Plan to bring a DVD, exercise bands, and/or workout clothes. Plan what your workout will be.
- Be high maintenance when dining out. Ask for sauces on the side, or an extra vegetable option. Ask how the food is prepared. You have a right to know if you are going to be healthy!
If you are in search of a full diet plan with meal plans, workout routines, and support, then Jillian’s online plan would probably be a better investment. Right now she’s offering a free diet plan to potential dieters.
Overall, Slim for Life has diet principles that can fit into your everyday life. You will not find the need to follow any restrictive crazy diets on Jillian’s plan!