The Omni Diet was created by Tana Amen, a registered nurse and nutritional consultant.
Amen battled with poor health until her mid-30’s, which her doctors put down to bad genetics with a family history of heart disease and obesity. However, even when she followed a strict diet and fitness program she couldn’t find relief.
She realized she needed to find a permanent health solution and embarked on a quest to achieve this. The Omni Diet is the result of her ten-year search to understand the relationship between nutrition, weight loss and health.
Omni Diet Basics
On the Omni Diet you will eat 70% plant-based foods and 30% protein-rich foods.
- 70% whole living plant foods provide disease-fighting nutrients.
- 30% high quality protein keeps the brain sharp and muscles and organs functioning at peak condition.
Amen believes this provides the perfect balance and optimal nutrition to support health and promote weight loss.
Omni Diet Foods
The foods included in the plan were chosen because they are proven to:
- Provide anti-oxidant support
- Reduce inflammation
- Enhance brain function
- Satisfy your appetite with nutrient-dense calories
- Control blood sugar levels
- Decrease feelings of hunger and deprivation
- Eliminate food addictions
- Balance hormones
- Increase energy and well-being
The plan emphasizes salads, cooked vegetables and vegetable juices, grass-fed meats and moderate amounts of fruit, nuts, seeds, beans and legumes. Foods that should be strictly avoided include dairy, sugar, processed foods and grains. However quinoa is allowed in small portions.
Amen describes the diet as “eating like a gorilla” and claims this way of eating will dramatically improve your health and add years to your life.
Certain supplements are emphasized because they are known to help repair DNA, which has an anti-aging effect. These include ginseng, magnesium, folic acid, vitamin B12, resveratrol and alpha lipoic acid.
Probiotics should also be taken on a daily basis to replenish your stores of good bacteria. Along with a high intake of fiber this supports the health of the gastrointestinal tract.
What a Day’s Meals Would Look Like
Brain Berry Smoothie
¼ cup raw almonds
Heirloom Tomato Salad
2 tablespoons hummus
Serano Chile Shrimp Vegetable Soup
Avoid Strenuous Exercise
Exercise is recommended but you should avoid strenuous workouts because this can trigger inflammation, which can interfere with weight loss.
You can choose fun and invigorating activities such as walking and Zumba. Amen also recommends lifting weights at least twice a week.
- Emphasizes improving general health rather than just losing weight.
- Includes six weeks of meal plans and recipes.
- Addresses the importance of good sleep for optimal health and weight loss.
- Includes a meal plan and recipes.
- Nutritional information is provided for the recipes.
- Provides advice for maintaining weight loss.
- Author’s belief that a plant-based diet cannot provide adequate protein and other nutrients is not in line with general opinion.
- Limits the intake of fruit to half a cup per day and does not allow whole grains.
- Some of the recipes contain unusual and expensive ingredients.
- Not suitable for vegan dieters.
- Requires the use of nutritional supplements, which may be expensive.
- May take time to see weight loss results.
Requires a High Level of Commitment
The Omni Diet was created to enhance wellness and help overcome chronic health issues.
This plan requires a high level of commitment as it may involve a complete change in diet and lifestyle. However if you are able to follow the plan you can expect to lose weight and experience better health.
The Omni Diet is available on Amazon.