KeVita is the name for a new probiotic coconut based health drink in the market.
They sent me a few free drinks to test out. There are negatives, but mostly all positives that I found.
Have you heard of kombucha? This is similar.
At first glance, KeVita reminds me of GT’s Synergy kombucha which is another probiotic drink that I am obsessed with. However, the taste and ingredients are a little different.
What is KeVita?
KeVita is made from fermented coconut water and/or tea. The secret fermentation process creates their special probiotics. Then, they add some more coconut water, and/or stevia, some fruit puree, and a splash of vinegar.
What you get is a slightly bubbly, mildly sweet elixir. To compare, kombucha is made from fermenting black tea which results in a more acidic, vinegar flavor. The KeVita tastes very mild, but you can almost taste and smell the probiotics like you do in yogurt. I didn’t mind it much, but others might not like this.
KeVita Health Benefits
You may be asking, “Why would I go to the trouble of buying this more expensive beverage and drinking it?”
- Most flavors are about 20 calories per bottle (some are 40 calories per 16 oz. bottle)
- Sugars are very low: Most about 2 – 8 grams maximum per bottle.
- Stevia is used to sweeten lightly
- The specific types of probiotics used have shown anti-inflammatory and immune modulating affects on the body.
- The types of probiotics used are high quality and should survive the travel through the stomach acid. Read more about probiotics here.
- KeVita costs about as much as a fancy coffee (or, in some cases, less).
The Dietitian Opinion
I enjoyed the pomegranate flavor best. It had the best flavor. I don’t like the taste of coconut, but I know others love the flavor, so I am sure they would enjoy these.
I put my boyfriend to the test and he didn’t like the after taste. He said it almost had a yogurt after taste.
Overall, I enjoyed the quality drink and it was refreshing mid-morning or in the afternoon to have something other than water to sip on. I still have to say, I prefer my strawberry kombucha—probably because it is a little more sugary (and I feel more relaxed when I drink it)! However, the KeVita is probably a little better for me since it has less sugar.
What do you think, have you tried KeVita or any other probiotic drinks?