By now we know that we should be choosing brown rice over white rice.
But, is it important to slow cook brown rice for 50 minutes?
Or, can we save time and buy microwavable brown rice and still get the same health benefits?
Almost Identical to Slow Cook Brown Rice
The short is answer is yes, buying microwavable brown rice gets you similar (if not identical) nutrients to slow cook brown rice. There may be some extra health benefits from choosing parboiled brown rice (form that is found in microwavable rice).
- May increase the B vitamin content in the brown rice due to increased soaking of the grain.
- Improves the grain’s ability to act as a resistant starch. These resistant starches may help to improve satiety, decrease insulin response, improve fat metabolism, and improve digestive health.
How Important is it to Eat Brown Rice?
Brown rice still has the bran and germ intact making the vitamins, minerals, fiber, and phytochemicals still intact. White rice removes everything except the endosperm (starch) leaving it devoid of nutrients.
Additionally, the white rice creates a greater insulin response, meaning diabetics and those sensitive to changing insulin levels should limit their white rice consumption.
All brown rice contains 88% of your daily value for manganese (per 1 cup). Manganese helps to form superoxide dismutase—a scientific name for a potent antioxidant “helper”. So, brown rice can help us ward off free radicals!
Brands to Buy
- Uncle Ben’s Microwavable Ready Rice
- Annie Chun’s Sprouted Brown Sticky Rice
- Minsley Cooked Organic Brown Rice
- Seeds of Change Organic Quinoa and Brown Rice
- Minute Ready to Serve Brown Rice Cups
- Hinode 90 Second Brown Rice
You could always make the slow cook ahead of time, and keep it in the refrigerator for a few days. When you are ready to eat it, just microwave!
Have you tried the microwavable brown rice?