Big time trainer on the hit weight loss TV show, The Biggest Loser, Bob Harper released his new diet book this May.
The title of his book is “The Skinny Rules: The Simple, Nonnegotiable Principles for Getting to Thin”.
Does Bob provide any new rules for slimming us down, or have they been on the books for years?
The No-Brainer Rules
- Don’t Drink Your Calories: Of course! Now, it is important to stick to this. No juices, sugared beverages, over-consumption of alcohol, etc.
- Slash Your Intake of Refined Flours and Grains: Get rid of those processed carbohydrates because of the insulin response they create, making it harder to lose weight.
- Get Rid of Fast Foods and Fried Foods: In other words, get rid of those mega calorie processed foods.
- Banish High Salt Foods: Helps improve heart health and retain less water weight.
- Eat Your Vegetables: How else can you lose weight and be healthy?
- Learn to Read Food Labels: Don’t pretend you are an expert label reader. Time to actually read those labels.
Bob Harper’s 7 Most Helpful Rules
- Drink a Large Glass of Water before Every Meal: This helps to start the hunger mechanism by adding weight to the stomach, making you get fuller faster.
- Eat Protein at Every Meal: Helps to slow carbohydrate digestion resulting in more stable blood sugar levels. This helps to balance hunger levels and maintain good energy. Also keeps you fuller longer!
- Eat 30 to 50 Grams of Fiber a Day: The normal recommendation is 25 to 30 grams, but by increasing fiber intake, it helps to keep you fuller and ensure you are eating fiber-rich healthy foods.
- Eat Apples and Berries Everyday: Apples are filling due to the high fiber content and berries contain potent antioxidants.
- No More Added Sweeteners, Including Artificial Ones: Research shows that those who consume diet, artificial beverages and foods weigh more than those who don’t.
- Make Your Own Food and Eat 10 Meals a Week at Home: Very important. Dining out equals excess calories.
- Sleep Right: At least 7 hours of sleep is needed to properly control appetite hormones.
The Questionable Skinny Rules
- No Carbs after Lunch: May help control cravings, but that’s about it.
- Get Rid of Those White Potatoes: Packed with iron and resistant starches (a type of fiber). A sweet potato would be better, but I don’t see the need to hate the white potato.
Bob on the Today Show
Bob’s principles in Skinny Rules are common sense for a good weight loss diet. In addition to the rules are 90 new recipes and four weeks of menus to help dieters stick to his guidelines.
So, I think that there’s not anything new or exciting in the book. But, for those new to diet and fitness, Skinny Rules would be helpful for those who want to know some of the best tips for weight loss and you are unsure how to approach a weight loss diet.
Also, for those who are fans of Bob on The Biggest Loser, this book will no doubt be a hit.
Bob Harper’s new book is available on Amazon for a discounted price.
What do you think of the rules?