When wheat is refined, the wheat germ is removed, which eliminates most of its nutrients.
However, you can add a whole grain punch to many foods, yet without all the carbs, by using just the wheat germ.
By eliminating the starch part of the wheat (endosperm), this grain can be a low calorie, yet nutrient dense food.
Wheat has received a bad rap over the last decade, but let’s consider how the germ of the wheat can be a nutritious part of your healthy diet.
Fiber, Protein, and Folic Acid
Wheat germ’s claim to fame is 3 grams of protein, 2 grams of fiber, 4 grams net carbs, and only 1 gram of fat per 2 Tbsp (13g) serving.
It is also is a good source or iron, potassium, folic acid, magnesium, thiamin, phosphorus, and zinc as well as plant sterols.
Some brands like Kretschmer Wheat Germ add vitamin E and extra folic acid for added benefit.
This is all for only 50 calories.
10 Easy Ways to Use Wheat Germ
- In place of bread crumbs in recipes.
- A topping for your yogurt, oatmeal, or sliced fruit.
- Use wheat germ in your baking by replacing some of the flour with it.
- As a filler in meatballs or meatloaf.
- Use it as a crumb topping on desserts or casseroles.
- Use it in your favorite bread stuffing recipe.
- Wheat germ can be a ready to serve cereal, eaten both cold or hot.
- Use it in smoothies.
- Wheat germ along with seasonings makes a nice coating for baked fish or chicken.
- Add it to your favorite soup recipe.
Luscious Lemon Cake Recipe
- ½ cup (1 stick) melted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 1 yolk
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract and finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- Powdered Sugar and Fresh Berries (optional for garnish)
Heat oven to 350°F. Coat bottom and sides of 9-inch round cake pan generously with cooking spray. In large bowl, beat butter with mixer until creamy. Gradually beat in sugar. Add eggs and yolk, one at a time, beating well after each. Blend in extract and zest. Mix on low speed, adding half of the combined dry ingredients; mix just until blended. Add yogurt followed by remaining dry ingredients and mix until well blended.
Spoon batter into pan, smoothing the top. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Run a knife between edges of cake and pan to loosen: invert cake onto rack. Turn cake right side up onto cake plate: cool completely. To serve, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Garnish with berries if desired.
Source: Kretschmer Toasted Wheat Germ Label
How do you use wheat germ?