We all know that bringing a lunch everyday will save us calories and money, but it is all about sticking to it and making healthy choices.
You must plan ahead, spend an extra five to ten minutes packing the lunch, and then transport the lunch safely.
I bring my lunch to work almost everyday, so I will share with you some quick tips that I’ve learned.
5 Simple Lunch Packing Steps
- Decide what you will eat for lunch. A few of my favorite lunches are:
- Salad with tuna or garbanzo beans and a light vinaigrette dressing
- High fiber wrap with hummus and vegetables
- Leftovers from dinner in a reheatable container or leftovers placed on top of salad greens
- Homemade soup/stew
- Sandwich thins or whole wheat bread with nitrite free turkey and a thin spread of pesto
These are just the basics. The hardest part is changing your habits and behaviors. Just remember that there is a greater payoff for bringing your lunch to work everyday. If your goal is weight loss, you may save a couple hundred calories resulting in a pound lost by the end of the week. If you goal is to eat healthy, packing a lunch could help to increase your fruit and vegetable intake.
Do you pack a lunch, and if you do, do you have any lunch ideas for the rest of us?