Did you know that the average person eats an extra 3000 calories on major holidays?
And, it takes 3500 calories extra to gain one pound?
So, if you are looking to watch your waistline this holiday season, follow my realistic tips to cut the calories despite the onslaught of cookies.
- Burn about 300 calories by holiday shopping for two hours.
- If you live in a snowy climate, build a snowman or have a snowball fight. These fun activity burns about 300 calories per hour.
- Burn 400 calories per hour ice skating.
- Sign up for a festive 5K walk or race.
- Schedule a quick pre-holiday interval or circuit training workout. This type of exercise can burn, on average, 300 calories in 30 minutes!
- Make lighter eggnog. Traditional eggnog can rack up 350 to 400 calories per cup! Slim it down by using skim milk or almond milk.
- Create a skinny hot chocolate the same way–with almond milk or skim milk.
- If you like apple cider, use 100% juice to get in a serving of fruit.
- Limit your alcohol consumption, or try lighter alcoholic beverages like a wine spritzer or glass of champagne.
- Practice mindful eating techniques to help slow your eating and limit your portion sizes while still feeling full and content. Studies show this can save about 200 calories.
- Instead of lingering near the food table, find the kids at the party and play with them! Not only will you avoid mindlessly munching on appetizers, but you will burn calories running around with the children.
- Offer to bring a dish to the holiday party. This way you can bring something of your choosing that you know is a healthy choice.
- If you are hosting the party, serve raw veggies instead of chips with your healthy appetizers.
- Do not arrive to the party hungry, or you may end up eating even more calories because you were so ravenous. Have a small snack of ¼ cup almonds.
Do you have any tricks or tips that you use during the holidays?