Freston is previously known for the book Quantum Wellness – an holistic detox diet that is also vegetarian. Freston now has the backing of Oprah Winfrey, who has challenged all-comers to go vegan for a week.
Veganist: The 10 Promises
The Veganist is more than going on a diet, and far more than losing weight. Freston makes a number of “promises” or outcomes that will arise from your choice to go vegan.
- Your body will find and maintain its ideal weight
- You will lower your risk of health issues such as: cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.
- You will live longer and better.
- You will take yourself out of harm’s way
Here she is addressing the industrialized food machine that makes it easier for bacteria to enter the food chain (think pig and cow factories).
- You will save money
The true cost of animal protein is much higher than what we think it is.
- You will be helping provide food for the global poor
- You will reduce your carbon footprint and help the environment.
- You will reduce animal suffering
- You will be following the wisdom of great spiritual traditions
- You will evolve and take the world with you
There is a strong case for following a plant-based diet, and as the world continues to over-exploit its resources, the call for vegan-type diets will become louder. We cannot support every person in the world eating a 8 ounce steak every night.
However I struggle with the need for dogma and rigid rules around dieting. I, for example, go fishing. I occasionally catch a fish (and abide by all fishing regulations and limits). I prepare the fish and eat it. Even though I agree with many of the principles of veganism, I will not stop fishing to satisfy the requirements of dietary dogma.
Veganist: Lose Weight, Get Healthy, Change the World by Kathy Freston – Available from Amazon.