As a general rule, it is best not to drink more than one or two alcoholic beverages per day for optimal health.
However, most of us don’t live in a perfect world so for social occasions or in my case, vacation, sometimes we end up drinking a little more than one drink.
So, when thinking about the waistline, what are the lowest calorie options?
8 Low Calorie Alcohol Options
- Wine: My number one recommendation. Many studies have shown that wine is less likely to contribute to weight gain. On average about 100 calories per 5 ounce glass, plus wine contains heart healthy polyphenols. However, it is important to remember that the health benefits diminish as you drink past that one or two glass maximum.
- Vodka Soda/ Vodka Diet Tonic: About 70 to 90 calories depending on the vodka brand/ proof. Clear liquors are always a good choice when you are trying to play it safe. Just remember not to add extra syrups or juices.
- Champagne: One flute is only about 75 calories. Even if you add a splash of 100% juice, that only brings it to about 100 calories per drink.
- Coconut Rum: Surprisingly lower in calories than other hard liquors: 51 calories per ounce. Just mix with a diet tonic, and splash of orange juice and you have a drink under 100 calories! Don’t forget there are other light liquor choices like tequila, brandy, scotch which are all about 65 calories per ounce.
- Bacardi and Diet Coke/ Diet Tonic: A traditional cocktail at 65 calories per 5 ounce drink, but I do not advocate drinking sodas on any occasion.
- Gin and Diet Tonic: A personal favorite at 120 calories per 6 ounce.
- Lemon Juice and Lime Juice: Will only set you back 10 calories when added to your favorite drink. If you add these juices to flavored liquor on the rocks or with diet soda/tonic, you will be in good shape.
- Light Beer: About 60-115 calories depending on brand. But, haven’t we all heard about beer belly? Light beer is a lower calorie option, but can leave you feeling more bloated.
Do you have any lower calorie alcoholic favorites?