Sugar can be one of the most formidable detriments of healthy eating.
Here is a 3-step defence strategy to use when those cravings come a knockin’.
Your number one defence against cravings is to simply find something else to do – right away. Ok I used the word “simply”, implying that this is a “simple” thing to do. It isn’t, but if you can get your mind focused on something else, the craving will likely pass. Here’s a distraction inventory:
- Take a bath
- Do some body weight exercises
- Brush your teeth
- Surf the net
- Grab a book/magazine
If it so happens that you are unable to distract yourself, the second step is to find a healthy(er) option. Here is a list of things you can do to placate your sweet tooth.
- Protein smoothies – make yourself a healthy smoothies with a flavoured protein powder.
- Chewable vitamins. Chewable vitamin C tastes at least somewhat like something you’d get at Halloween. Just don’t overdo it – stop at 2000mg’s worth.
- Greek yogurt with vanilla protein powder gives you a high protein kick with a vanilla twist.
- Dark chocolate: Bitter/sweet treat with health benefits! If you choose the dark chocolate route, however, just remember it doesn’t take long to consume too many calories worth.
- Eat some fruit. Some dark seedless grapes are nice and sweet, but have fiber and antioxidants in them as well.
Give in (without giving in)
If all else fails and distractions aren’t working and the alternatives just aren’t going to cut it then allow the indulgence… but DO SO WISELY. That doesn’t mean devouring a bag of chips or a container of Hagen Daas. When you choose to indulge do so moderately and without guilt.
So there you have it – a three step strategy to helping avert sugar craving!
What is your best tip for shirking sugar?
Image Credit: Flickr/delairen