Not only do people have to deal with the issue of being labeled as ‘fat’ or as ‘skinny’, but now it seems there is a new label becoming popular in the world of diet & fitness.
The Healthy Boy Blog recently wrote a great article outlining what the new term ‘skinny fat’ means.He states that this term is rather confusing because it can have several different meanings, but here are the most common ones according to The Healthy Boy.
- Skinny Fat is when someone falls under a healthy weight range, however their body composition is flabby rather than toned
- Someone who appears thin and has a good BMI, but has a high percentage of body fat
- When someone looks lean in clothes, but if flabby underneath.
- When a person is thin, but does not eat healthy and eats junk food
- Someone who is thin, but has localized fatty areas, like a muffin top or love handles (hips) or butt and thighs.
From those descriptions it looks like many could be called ‘skinny fat’, but do we really need yet another label that can perpetuate further self-hatred?