17 Day Diet

By Mizpah Matus B.Hlth.Sc(Hons)

The 17 Day Diet was created by Dr. Mike Moreno, a family practice physician in California.

After being featured on The Doctors TV show and Dr. Phil it has rapidly become one of the hottest weight loss plans for two years running.

17 day diet- morano

The diet involves a series of 17-day cycles with adjustments in the composition of the foods you eat.

Moreno suggests that a weight loss of 10-12 pounds is possible in the first 17 days. He cites recent research showing that rapid weight loss does have long and short-term advantages over the slow weight loss approach.

17 Day Diet Breakthrough Edition

Dr. Morano has enhanced his popular 17 Day Diet with some enhanced options that have proven successful for the 1000’s that have completed his program.

Besides what we have outlined below, The 17 Day Diet Breakthrough Edition is supercharged with following:

• 3 additional chapters covering supplements, new exercises, and many more success stories.
  • 50 additional recipes.
  • An optional “fast day” to accelerate fat loss using Mike Morano’s liquid cleanse.
Click here to purchase this book for a discounted price (Amazon).

17 Day Diet in a Nutshell

In basic terms, the 17 Day Diet is a carbohydrate cycling diet whereby you adjust your intake of carbohydrates in accordance with whatever phase of the diet you are in.

At certain times, you will follow a very low carbohydrate diet while at other times you can enjoy specific foods that are higher in carbohydrates.

According to Dr. Moreno, this has the effect of confusing your metabolism and enhancing the rate at which you are able to lose weight. It also can help to reduce the frustration and boredom that is generally associated with long-term dieting.

The 17 Day Diet includes four cycles:

1. Accelerate
    In this initial phase you dramatically reduce your intake of carbohydrates to promote fat burning, cleansing, and rapid weight loss.
  2. Activate
    This 17 Day Diet phase involves carbohydrate cycling, which has the purpose of resetting your metabolism to stimulate fat burning and prevent plateaus.
  3. Achieve
    You reintroduce some previously restricted foods and will learn how to develop healthy eating habits.
  4. Arrive
    The final phase allows you to maintain your goal weight by eating a healthy diet during the week and indulging in your favorite foods on the weekends.

During all of the four phases of the 17 Day Diet, there is an emphasis on clean eating and the avoidance of sugar and all processed foods.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to drink green tea?
Yes, Dr. Moreno believes green tea helps to speed up the metabolism and give the body a boost of antioxidants. Any brand of green tea is fine and it can be hot or cold, but sugar-free.
Can I use artificial sweeteners?
The book promotes the use of Stevia as an all-natural sweetener but doesn’t endorse artificial varieties like Sucralose and Aspartame.
I’m diabetic, is the 17 Day Diet for me?
Dr. Moreno says that his diet is perfect for Type II Diabetics, but Type I Diabetics should be cautious of using his plan. Always consult your physician before beginning any new diet.
Can vegetarians or the gluten intolerant do the diet?
Yes, the book has many alternate suggestions for vegetarians as well as those on the gluten-free diet.
Can I drink wine while completing the cycles?
There are provisions for wine in cycle 3, but Dr. Moreno says that the 17 Day Diet isn’t about depriving you. Wine in cycles 1 or 2 will just slow down your progress, but not ruin the diet.
Can I use this diet to get rid of my baby weight?
Dr. Moreno says that since the 17 Day Diet isn’t missing nutrients, it’s fine for a woman who are breastfeeding and want to lose the baby weight. He advises mothers to consult with their doctors to be sure it will fit with their particular health histories.

Recommended Foods and Food App

Eggs, turkey breast, chicken breast, seafood, yogurt, grapefruit, berries, lettuce, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, tomato, cucumber, asparagus, green tea.

The book contains recipes that Moreno claims are quite easy to make, but also suggests taking out a delivered meal plan from Bistro MD — but this can get expensive.

The 17 Day Diet also has released a cookbook to assist dieters in preparing meals that fit with the program.

17 day diet smart phone app

17 Day Diet App

There is a helpful iPhone app available that gives dieters 100, 17 Day Diet recipes at their fingertips.

These recipes are formulated to be tasty yet easy to prepare. This is helpful because the app incorporates all of the recommended foods into the recipes while eliminating all of the restricted foods and ingredients. iTunes

Sample 1 Day Meal Plan

Breakfast

Scrambled eggs
Grapefruit
1 cup green tea

Lunch

2 boiled eggs
Large salad with lettuce, carrots, broccoli, onion, tomato

Afternoon Snack

Yogurt with fresh berries

Dinner

Turkey breast
Steamed carrots and asparagus

Exercise Recommendations

Dr. Moreno is a strong advocate of exercise as a way to ensure fast results. The 17 Day Diet involves a 17-minute exercise routine that should be performed six days a week. An exercise DVD is available of the 17-minute workout program for $15.

Costs and Expenses

The 17 Day Diet retails for $26, the workbook is additional $16, and the cookbook is $26.

Click here to purchase this book for a discounted price (Amazon).

Dr. Moreno Discusses His Diet Plan

Pros

• Encourages the intake of a variety of unprocessed, natural foods.
  • Carbohydrate and calorie cycling may help to accelerate the rate of weight loss.
  • Variety in the 17 Day Diet structure can help to maintain motivation and prevent boredom.
  • An eating plan is simple to understand.
  • Includes meal plans and recipes.
  • An exercise program is short and effective.
  • Home delivery meals are available for an additional cost.
  • Includes tips for avoiding holiday weight gain.

Cons

• Not suitable for Type I Diabetics.
  • Calorie intake may be too low for physically active dieters.
  • Irregular eating patterns have the potential to trigger disordered eating in susceptible individuals.
  • Does not adequately address the psychological factors required for successful weight loss over the long term.

A Healthy Lower-Carb Diet

The 17 Day Diet involves adjusting your intake of carbohydrates, fat, protein and calories over a series of 17-day cycles, which may have the effect of boosting metabolism and preventing the plateaus that are common with most diets.

Even though the plan was created to help dieters avoid holiday weight gain, The 17 Day Diet can be followed at any time when fast and effective weight loss is desired. However dieters must be aware that permanent changes in eating patterns, lifestyle habits, attitudes and beliefs are essential if weight loss is to be maintained.

See Also: How a couple lost over a 100 pounds with the 17 Day Diet.

Filed in Diet Reviews

1. dietgirl

I dont really have time to excersise I try but other diets I have lost weight more quickly I feel like the weight should be falling off of me

2. Mike

I had some problems also in losing. I increased my exercise which is walking and also adjusted down my food portions. Only then did I see the weight drop more rapidly. Stick with it and the weight will drop!

3. Jaime23

This diet has worked well for me so far and I enjoy being on it unlike diets ive tried in past. I don’t have time to cook so I went with the meal plan delivery for convenience. The food is delicious and it gets to me on time. If you don’t like to cook or have no time I suggest you do it.

4. marie

dont leave the tea bag for more than a minute in the hot water tipped fast.

5. Laurie

It sounds to me that you just don’t have what it takes to stick to a diet. And want someone to do it for you because you don’t have the strength to do i yourself. Too bad soo sad. It ain’t gonna work. More people are having success than you did. Because of you I am more determined than ever to try it and succeed at it & so will others like me.

6. dietgirl

I feel everyones pain I am 17 years old 134 lbs I was 135 but the weight is dropping really slow. I lost 1 lb in 4 days i was expecting to lose alot more. and I am telling you I have been dedicated to the tee. If anyone else is having this problem please help me out

7. kiwi

I have been on this diet for 5 days and I am always hungry. I am wondering if I am not eating enough? I have breakfast, lunch, dinner and a snack. I just feel that it is not enough food. Anyone please help. Thank you

8. Rita Cooper

How do I order this book?

9. Renee

Hello Everyone,

Can someone tell me if you can drink the diet green tea made by lipton instead of the hot green tea?

10. CJ

do I have to eat eggs? I have only done it one day. I eat salmon and vegetables for breakfast

11. CJ

I am on my fourth day. I am eating meat (chicken, fish or turkey)vegetables (green) for each meal. 2 apples a day and 2 yogurts. I bring carrots and celery to work to munch on. I am finding it to be too much food for me. How important is it not to skip a meal if you are already full?

12. marie

Hi, I got the book ,I love it but my only problem is the egg I hate looking at a big (embrio) or the slime part of the egg. Can I sustitude to powdered egg.

13. Mike

I really like the low sodium miso soup in place of the yogurt some times. Stick with this and you should see amazing results.
    Good luck!

14. Dietgirl

Also My mom My aunt and me are all on this diet together. My mom was 174 5’1 she has now been on this diet for 2 days and lost 5 lbs. My Aunt was 215 5’3 and also has been on this diet for 2 days and lost 4 lbs. I am 135.6 5’4 and in 2 days lost !.2 1bs. I am suspecting losing weight slower because I am thinner then both of them. We are starting our third day. It is not easy the meals are simple but you really have to be disciplined and in the mind set of it all. I cant wait for the 17 days to be up and to see our results for cycle 1

15. dietgirl

so you use the same yogurt as me? I guess I should go in the store and ask if they have kefir. Last time i looked all i found was soy milk and lactose free.

16. Mike

The nonfat plain yogurt you are describing is what I normally use. I have found that using a chopped apple or whole blueberries makes it much more palatable. Also I have used a tsp or two of my favorite fruit spread. I choose the variety with no ADDED sugar. Good luck!

17. Mike

Kefir is a dairy product. There is alternative kefir that is nondairy such as soy kefir and coconut kefir. I have never used these. Sometimes I like to use 1/2 cup of saurkraut or cup of low sodium miso soup as an alternative for my probiotics.

18. Tweetiepie610

@Cindy….BRAVO!!!! Hallehluer Sister..I was wondering when someone was going to comment on “the Haters”..you beat me to the punch girl…good for you. This site is intended for feedback good or bad…but Lord knows we have enough negativity in this world…its nice to know that “those of us” struggling with weight issues can share thoughts, ideas and support for each other to help MOTIVATE one another to live a better and healthier lifestyle so that we can live longer, healthier and happier lives. Good luck to everyone taking this journey to a healthier and happier life. Muah…

19. wahappy

I refer to myself these days as being a “professional dieter” I have tried many, from protein drinks to calorie counting & probably what the “new diet” of the year would discribe it well. I wouldn’t even want to start calculating of what amounts of monies I’ve invested throughout the years. But I too have purchased the 17 day diet & I already have lost 9 pounds during the first 8 days I have committed to this diet. I feel soooo good, ambious with energy that I was desperately seeking to have once again. I have not only learned of new receipes but they are easy to follow & don’t have the taste of diet food. It’s teaching me to change my lifestyle & eating healthy, makes you feel healthy! Most importantly, I am one that DOES not want to be taking any kind of medication or ejecting insulin into my body. My family history consists of my dad, aunts & now my niece (just turned 10 yrs. old)that have diebetes & Dr, Moreno based this diet of knowing a lady with diebetes, in which he began to walk with her which formed to a group known as “Walk with Doc” now how sincere & committed is that? It has been a great seller for me!!!!!!!!

20. dietgirl

thanks mike! can you use any type of non dairy products or does it have to be kefir? I dont really know waht it is I am assuming it is just a non dairy product. can someone help me out and let me know if my assumptions are right? thank you so much!… also I really hate plain yogurt so i got a non fat flavored yogurt im pretty sure the calories is 90 the carbs is 15 and the sguar is 11. I dont know if im damaging my weight lost by eating this type of yogurt. If someone knows please help me .. we are all disciplined people in this together =)

21. Mike

Did you exercise portion control as well as eliminating the carbs in the accelerate phase? I have had results but not even close to yours. I just ate as much protein as I wanted and this must be why my results are stunted. On day 12 and have lost but not as much as hoped for. I am going to try and use portion control and hope this will help.

22. Tweetiepie610

@Mia…Although I have just started Day 1 yesterday (my Hubby and I..yay lol)…I stopped eating Sugar 2 weeks ago and can already see the HUGE difference in my stomach and the way I feel (my stomach was always bloated) I have always been thin..but since I turned 40 (now 46) my metabolism drastically changed. I weighed between 120-125..and was always able to eat anything…once I hit 40 I could not stop eating sugar and the pounds on the butt, stomach and Boobs haaaa I never had big boobs…I do now..lol I am at 155 lbs and feel horrible with my weight…its too much for my small frame…I am 5’4 and still have a small frame but the boobs, butt and gut are a HOT MESS lol SUGAR is definately the cause of my weight gain…I am too embarassed to tell you how much sugar I consume…I am very surprised that I am not a Diabetic..anyway…I totally agree with everything you said Mia on EVERYTHING…its about Personal Responsibility about your health and being healthy….I and my Husband made the decision that we wanted to see our sons (19 and 15) graduate College, be successful, get married and eventually have children. We won’t be able to do that with how we were living our lives. I read Dr. Moreno’s bood twice…I luv it and can see myself living my life on his suggesgtions. Good luck to everyone…

23. Tweetiepie610

@Hellenar…I recommend Zumba…you can go at your own pace and then advance if and when you are ready….I luv BETO who is the creator of Zumba….you can find the DVD’s on Zumba.com…..Good Luck….I lost 15 lbs. just by excersizing to Zumba…..It is so much fun…I discovered it about 8 months ago…I have not stopped exersizing to the DVDs and no matter how tires I am at the end of the day…once you do Zumba…you have a jolt of energy….Enjoy….

24. Tweetiepie610

@Mike….thanks…

25. Tweetiepie610

@Wendy…CONGRATS!!!!Woo Hoo…Good for you…My Husband and I just started yeserday…Good luck!

26. Tweetiepie610

You are entitled to your opinion…there now do you feel better? I hope so…now for everyone else that is happy with the book thus far or that is still waiting to see the results of its effectiveness, allow us to do that don’t ruin it for us. Have a great day! Muah…

27. wendy

I think this 7 day diet is GREAT, first 4 days I have lost 7 1/2 lbs. If you are like me and love your breads, it is hard at first, but stick with it, it is worth it.

28. Ms. Sick of America's Diet

I don’t think the book is the problem; I think you are. I am a 35 year-old stay at home mom and look better than 20 year-old’s because I have changed the way I eat. The list of meals you listed for the day is exactly what a female should eat to remain at optimum health. It is not small amounts but exactly appropriate amounts. Maybe you should discontinue following the average American obesity heart-attack diet and give this one, that is developed by someone who actually knows a thing or two about the human body, a try; it could change your life!

29. Mike

You can find kefir and lactose free products in the dairy sections of most grocery stores.Almost all food stores carry these now. If you cant find in regular grocery chain store try ethnic markets or health food stores.

30. Mike

You will not find sugar free yogurt. The Greek yogurts have the least amount of sugar. I use the store brand of nonfat plain yogurt for the most part. The yogurts with added vanilla or other flavorings including fruits have the most sugars.

31. Tweetiepie610

Did you order it from Dr. Phils website?

32. Tweetiepie610

@Dietgirl….Good question…I just started yesterday…I am in the same dilemma looking for the same products…please advise if you get a response. Thanks…

33. Tweetiepie610

Hello…You are so RIGHT…it definately is all in your head…its a mind set….I truly believe that if you want to accomplish a goal, you have to change your approach. It is all mental. Good luck…I just bought the 17 Day Diet Book…I loved reading it and am now putting it to work. My Husband and I are doing it together…He wants to loose 50 lbs. and I 30 lbs. today is our second day. Yikes…I think the hardest times are going to be the evenings…but we are sticking with it…we were starving last night and decided to make a nice cup of Green Tea…..and felt better. We are determined that this is definately a lifestyle change for us as it has to be. My Husband has high cholesterol, high blood pressure and colitus…grrr lol he has been on Meds for 6 years and I want him off of them because I know if he looses weight and excersises regularly again, he will not need to take medication. I just went back to College and am going for an Associates Degree in Medical Assisting….this semester I am taking Anatomy and Physiology….lets just say that you learn to appreciate good health and what you put in your body….it was life changing for me…..I knew that we had to make a likestyle change. I am Dr. Phil’s biggest fan…been watching him since his Oprah days (been watching Oprah from day 1) and am now hooked on The Doctors….when they introduced Dr. Moreno and the 17 Day Diet Book….it was an “AHA” moment for me…and I am taking this journey with my Husband of 22 years….yay for us…..muah to Dr. Moreno….I know that this will work for us because we are determined to succeed.

34. Kim

This your opinon, but it seems to working for a higher percentage of people, really sorry you were disapointed.

35. dietgirl

Hi! I just started this diet today> it seems pretty simple. I am very disciplined with dieting and being strict. I do have a question does anyone know where you can get kefir,acidophilus milk, and sugar free flavored yogurt. I looked all over in the store and could not find a “sugar free yogurt” the most i found was non fat or low fat yogurt.

36. Cindy

For kicks, I went through Cycle 2 and calculated a day of calories with the carbs added in – each day is about 873 – under 900. No wonder we are losing weight. Don’t get me wrong, I am the biggest fan of this program. It has changed my life. I am down 42 pounds, which has taken two months. I have never had anywhere near this success with any other program.

37. susan

Be Caeful! I ordered the book and had charges up to $3000 on my credit card. Was called by the bank and the charges were stopped. Never got the book

38. Kim W

I don’t know if my first comments went through but I feel it is important to let you know that it is a total waste of money. I wish I hadn’t boughten the book and the Dvd’s. You dont learn anything new and the reason your losing weight is because the meals are small, protein filled, and everyone knows you should drink 8 glasses of water and 3 cups of green tea a day because green tea is known on its own to help you lose weight. Dr. Phil should be ashamed of himself for promoting this book, but he must be getting a cut because he talks about it every day and has had him on twice. Just eat proteins, salad, vegetable, no fruit after 2, yogurt, eggs, drink water and green tea and you will be all set. What a waste of $30.00!!!

39. Kim W

I just got the book today and what a waste of money. Dr. Phil must be getting a cut because this diet is nothing new. The reason your losing weight is your eating very small meals. Here is an example from the book. Day 1 breakfast: 2-scrambled egg white, 1/2 grapefruit or other fresh fruit and 1 cup of green tea. Lunch: Large green salad topped with tuna; drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil or flaxseed oil and 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and 1 cup of green table. Dinner: Plenty of grilled chicken with liberal amounts of any vegetable from the list, steamed or raw and 1 cup of green tea. Snacks: 6 oz. of sugar-free plain yogurt mixed with 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar-free jam or other probiotic serving and 1 serving of fruit from the list.

40. Yolanda

What is the device that you are currently using to help with your weight lost?

References

• Samaha, F. F., Iqbal, N., Seshadri, P., Chicano, K. L., Daily, D. A., McGrory, J., ... & Stern, L. (2003). A low-carbohydrate as compared with a low-fat diet in severe obesity. New England Journal of Medicine, 348(21), 2074-2081. link
  • Foster, G. D., Wyatt, H. R., Hill, J. O., McGuckin, B. G., Brill, C., Mohammed, B. S., ... & Klein, S. (2003). A randomized trial of a low-carbohydrate diet for obesity. New England Journal of Medicine, 348(21), 2082-2090. link
  • Soenen, S., Bonomi, A. G., Lemmens, S. G., Scholte, J., Thijssen, M. A., van Berkum, F., & Westerterp-Plantenga, M. S. (2012). Relatively high-protein or ‘low-carb’energy-restricted diets for body weight loss and body weight maintenance?. Physiology & behavior, 107(3), 374-380. link
  • Nackers, L. M., Ross, K. M., & Perri, M. G. (2010). The association between rate of initial weight loss and long-term success in obesity treatment: does slow and steady win the race?. International journal of behavioral medicine, 17(3), 161-167.