Next time you’re out and about, think twice before grabbing that big cooling frappuchino to go – it may have more calories than your dinner.
The World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) found that most iced coffees contain at least 200 calories – with several over 400 calories.
The worst? A venti (large) Dark Berry Mocha Frappuchino from Starbucks: 561 calories. If you’re a woman on a calorie-controlled diet, that could be almost half your daily allowance in just one drink.
So, what can you do to quench your thirst without drinking a load of unwanted calories?
Here are a few suggestions:
- Don’t have whipped cream – this’ll save you 100 calories. Obvious, yes! But it’s easy to give way to temptation at the counter.
- Go for the smallest size available.
- Avoid whole cream milk – but this might not be enough to make a significant difference: even using skim milk, Caffe Nero’s Double Chocolate Frappe and Mocha Frappe Latte both contain 452 calories.
- Avoid sweetened drinks, and don’t add sugar – the best choice is an iced Americano.
- Check the calories, sugar and fat content of drinks using in-store information, or the coffee chain’s website
Another good tip for summer is to keep a refillable bottle of water in your bag: much cheaper than an iced coffee, and calorie-free.