35+ Social Media Sites for the Health Conscious

weight-loss-supportThere are a large number of sites out there that connect users with each other and enable people to collaborate their information.

Here is a collection of sites that specialize in the area of health, fitness, and diet.

Fitness

• FitLink – Connect workout partners.
  • Fitocracy – Very popular – Points, levels, quests, and challenges.
  • MyFitnessPal – Web app that also has apps for all smartphones.
  • Traineo – Popular fitness site with ability to get others to motivate you.
  • IntroPLAY – Track exercise. Compete in exercise leagues.
  • WalkingSpree – Emphasis on walking and linking with pocket pedometer. Blogs and journals.
  • PeerTrainer – Many social networking features. Fitness emphasis.
  • Run Fat Boy – Share and journal workout plans.
  • We Endure – A social training log for endurance sports .
  • iTrainHarder – Workout and Diet tracking. Fee required.
  • The Daily Burn – Workout and Exercise tracking.
  • RunningAHEAD – Track, share, and analyze running workouts.
  • FitMarker.com- A place to post and discuss fitness and health news from around the web.
  • Workout Spots– Find local workout and fitness spots,browse for and easily register for classes,connect with the people you’re working out with.

Support Forums and Message Boards

3FatChicks, Low Carber, Daily Strength

Diet & Weight Loss Focus

• miDailyDiet – Share your diet tracking with anyone.
  • Weight Loss Buddy – Devoted to matching up weight loss buddies based on a number of criteria.
  • Weight Loss Wars – Social networking with a competitive aspect.
  • Fat Secret – Journaling, chatting, tips, recipes – can be centered around any diet.
  • Weight Circles – Blogs and “circles” (like-minded support groups). New.
  • Losing It – Social Networking.
  • Extra Pounds – Blogging and Tracking.
  • SparkPeople – Popular weight loss program with many social networking features.
  • Diet.com – Began as the “personality type diet” – but now offers a number of ways to connect with others.
  • Diet TV – Track diet and exercise habits and link up with others.
  • WellSphere – Join groups centered around specific goals.
  • The Daily Plate – Diet tracking with social networking aspects.
  • The Biggest Loser League – Allows people to set up teams and complete weekly weight-loss challenges while rooting
    each other on.

Other Health-focused networks include: DailyStrength, WegoHealth, RevolutionHealth.

I’m sure there are many more – feel free to make suggestions in the comments below.

1. Fran

I’m glad to see my favorite site, diettv.com on this list. diettv.com is far and above the richest in content, tools, meal plans and community. cnet just voted them as one of their top 3 favorites http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10246382-2.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=Webware

2. devendra

Good collection. thanks

3. weightlossguru

AWESOME list! Any chance you’ve got something similar with a UK focus? thanx in advance if you can help.

4. Jack Barrette

Thanks for including WEGO Health in your solid list – you’re proving the power of Health Activists helping each other. I hope you’ll join our community, and keep telling it like it is!

5. MikeM

I’ll second dailymile.com is a great new fitness site. It has changed the way I workout.

6. Jason

Check out MyPypeline.com, it launched in July/08 and offers 250+ (and counting) workout videos that can be streamed in a browser, downloaded, or burned to DVD. The site also offers a FREE membership that provides fitness tracking tools, the ability to create a community profile, and 6-12 week online training programs. The workout videos include titles from existing high profile fitness trainers such as Tracey Mallett and span all genres including Yoga, Cycling, Core Stability, Circuit Training, and Triathlon.

MyPypeline is currently offering your first video rental or purchase for free, no strings attached. The promo codes are listed at the bottom of the homepage at: http://www.mypypeline.com.

7. Henry

dailymile.com is a great social training site. You can log miles, get answers, join groups, and meet training partners in your area.

8. Virginia

I love the online sites that provide personal support and lots of tips, recipes, and other help. My favorite is currently http://www.prevention.com, which is an offshoot of Prevention magazine – it’s good stuff.

9. John Cummings

Jim, this really IS a great list. People who want to get in shape and interact with others to do it can use all the resources they can find! We launched mybodysite.com to give people a place to connect and talk about all levels of fitness. We’re working on all sorts of new features for the fall and I hope you will consider adding mybodysite.com to your next list. Keep an eye out for new stuff coming soon, too. : )

John

10. Fitness

What a fantastic list, thanks for sharing. I think social support is the most overlooked part of people’s weight loss program. Sites like these make it that much easier to get that support, find motivation and provide inspiration to/from others. Welcome to Weight Loss 2.0!

11. Salt Lamps

It’s not a social site though — if you want online support as well, you’d have to combine it with something else.

12. John Allen Mollenhauer "JAM"

I’ve been in and around the fitness industry for 25 years. It’s very exciting to see this incredible interest in fitness and community and tracking success.

We put out http://www.MyTrainer.com, a sports and fitness community around video content generated by the trainers with social networking features.

Free fitness video’s for everybody!

13. Lisa Newton

I’d like to add Iowa Avenue, a dynamic healthy-living social community connecting people in a meaningful way for a meaningful purpose. It’s about health, fitness, and weight loss, with a little fun thrown in for good measure. It’s free, so join today! to your list.

Being the owner, I’m definitely bias, but hey, I think it’s a great place to connect………….:)

14. Diet

Thanks for the shout out

15. zay?flama hap?

Great list. Thanks for putting this together!

16. Deirdre

Have to add — the more I play with the mypyramid.gov site, the more I like it’s potential — but it’s really buggy. Too buggy for me to keep going with it. I hope that will be fixed soon.

17. Deirdre

MyPyramid.gov has a new menu planner that looks surprisingly promising (surprising because I am naturally suspicious of the government and it’s lobbyists). The format is a little different than others I’ve seen. I’ve tried it out for a day and think it’s something I could use regularly.

18. Chris Davis

Here’s another fitness social networking site:

Fitconnect.com

19. Nate

I use Gyminee it is a fantastic site. I myself am a web developer and those guys really came up with something great. I highly recommend you check that one out… I’ll have to cruise through the rest of this list and see those others! Great list!

20. Vik

Thanks for this! FitFiend.com is still pretty early on and there are some amazing features on the way!

21. NoMoreFatDad

22. Karen Anderson

Check out the susanpowteronline.com community

23. Jim

Suggestions welcome.

24. Jim

Not intentional – Jimmy and I have been in touch for many years. For this post I scoured the web for health sites that offered features where users could ‘connect’ with each other in some way. Perhaps a blog qualifies.

25. soozeequeue

Or you could go to a site like dietsinreview.com and find out why the cabbage soup diet is a really dumb idea.

With starvation calorie levels, no suggestion of increasing activity levels, this “diet” is at best a temporary solution to lose a few pounds and then gain those and more back. It is NOT in any way shape or form a permanent lifestyle change.

The title is “sites for the health conscious” to which the cabbage soup diet has no relationship whatsoever.

26. ahyan

i love healthcastle.com!

27. Regina

Active Low Carber forum is a good resource for those following carbohydrate restricted diets (many different plans find support there):

It’s also free and has a lot of members offering support to each other.

28. bob

I hope that your omission of Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb, http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.com/ was not intentional. Anyone wanting excellent information, entertainment, and fabulous interviews on the low carb lifestyle needs to bookmark this website. P.S. Do not be afraid.

29. Michelle

I agree that SparkPeople is amazing. It’s what helped me lose 70 pounds last year.

I wish you’d included body image acceptance sites in the list, though. Everybody’s focused on diet, exercise, etc. Sometimes it’s just about self-esteem.

30. Joey Diamon

far and away fatsecret.com is the best, it has all the things you need in one package and a great community to support you

like weight watchers online without the fees!

31. Fitness Guy

Great list! I have been looking for a list like this for a while now. I especially like the Health Ranker site and of course 3FatChicks is a classic

32. Spectra

Thanks for the Featherish link, Jim. We’re a really fun and helpful community and there a lot of people with lots of helpful advice and tips for everyone. I’ll probably be checking out a lot of those other sites…they sound really cool!

33. Stephanie Quilao

Great list. Thanks for putting this together!

34. Britt

My favorite is thedailyplate!!!! it is so awesome very encouraging! I love it!

35. jill

Check out fitday.com
    It’s free and very helpful to anyone who wants to take a scientific approach to diet, weight loss and fitness.

36. Rachel

Sparkpeople is awesome!

37. Mike OD - IF Life

ok this will be some shameless self promotion, but I am in the business of helping people…so I just want to spread the word. I am finishing up my free emailed workout site (should be lauching by Monday). http://www.projectfit.org and yes, it’s all free.

38. Israel

Thanks for the shout out J!

39. Mark

Wow ! just what I was looking for couldn’t have come at a better time, been looking for social health sites to connect on, be a great time saver this will. Thanks a lot.

40. Heather

I love Sparkpeople!

So far as the forums, my favorite running forums are at kickrunners.com