If you can cut five hundred calories a day, you’ll lose a pound every week – or so the theory goes.
And you can make those changes without ever feeling hungry or deprived, and without giving up any of your favorite foods. Just pick five of these simple swaps every day: each will save you 100 calories.
- Toast: Swap butter and jam for a teaspoon of honey
- Sandwiches: Swap egg mayo for wafer-thin ham and light cream cheese
- Fries: Swap a fast-food portion of fries for an oven-baked portion at home
- Soda: Swap an 8oz serving of cola for flavoured water
- Chocolate: Swap a standard mars bar for 3 squares of dark chocolate
- Alcohol: Swap a can of beer for a small glass of wine
- Burger: Swap a cheeseburger for a plain one
- Popcorn: Swap a small sweet bag of popcorn for a small salted one
- Dessert: Swap two scoops of ice-cream for two scoops of frozen yoghurt
- Coffee: Swap whole milk in your latte for skimmed
And if none of those work for you, try keeping a diet diary for a week and figure out where you could cut out 100 calories, five times a day. With just a few tweaks to your diet, you could be four stone lighter by this time next year.