It seems odd to use the word “indulge” on a blog about diets. Developing a healthy relationship with food is critical if you wish to avoid falling into disordered or harmful patterns of eating.
However… asking some people to simply moderate their intake of certain foods is akin to asking the alcoholic to take only take one sip from their glass.
Here are 6 steps to help you enjoy your food and diet.
- Write down a list of the foods and beverages that give you the greatest pleasure.
- Review your list and put a + (plus) next to those items that are easy for you to consciously indulge in.
- Next put a ?- (minus) next to those foods that you tend to overeat and that challenge you in limiting your portions.
- For those items with a ?- (minus) come up with creative ways you can enjoy what gives you pleasure in conscious amounts. Aim for around 100 calorie servings. For example, you could break a favorite chocolate bar into small squares and wrap them individually in foil. Then put them out of sight and have just one a day.
- Finally, put an X next to those items that you tend to compulsively or addictively overeat.
- Decide how you will handle the items with an X next to them. Probably it will be best not to have these foods in the house. It may be best just to cross them off your list entirely and abstain completely from them.
Many thanks to Haven Logan, who outlines these points in her short PDF Living a Healthy Life. Used with permission.