Flabby Arnold: Inspirational

Flabby Arnold Schwarzenegger
Shown in the Daily Mail
in March 2005.

For the last few years, pictures of a “flabby” Arnold Schwarzenegger have been floating around the Web.

Like a pervasive urban myth – some feel that the photos are faked – while others can’t believe their eyes.

Whatever the truth is – Arnold is 57 years old now, and paparazzi are notorious for getting photos of people at their worst.

Respect?

No matter what you think of Schwarzenegger’s acting or political career – when it comes to bodybuilding – he is worthy of respect. Arnold was one of the most influential and inspiring figures in the bodybuilding community.

So what about the flab? If the pictures are accurate – then it just goes to show that Schwarzenegger is not a complete genetic freak – but that he is human, and muscle atrophy happens to anyone who ceases resistance training.

There are comments in the tabloid press:

Friends say the Austrian-born former strongman has never fully recovered his once-startling physique since an operation to repair faulty heart valves in 1997.

Critics blame the cardiac problems on his admitted use of steroids while bulking up for bodybuilding contests 20 years ago.

i-0cb2d20fd4df195df999c47efee5d000-flabbyarnold2.jpg
Allegedly taken in 2002
by People Magazine
prior to filming T3

The thing is, just about every magazine ad, every infomercial, and every picture we see of a body builder is just a snapshot. It is a snapshot at a single point in time – taken at their absolute peak.

Did His Muscle Turn to Fat?

When I decided to start going to the gym to lift weights – my work colleagues scorned the idea saying that “the moment I stopped lifting weights – the muscle would turn to flab”. Now of course muscle doesn’t transform to fat, but muscle does burn up, and fat does increase.

If you stop lifting weights (and other forms of exercise), but fail to reduce your food intake accordingly… well… on comes the flab, and down goes the muscle tone. Quite depressing really.

However seeing the pictures of flabby Arnold shows that it can happen to the best of us, and that big muscles are fleeting things.

Somehow that makes me feel better about myself.

Flabby Arnold: Inspirational….

i-0e06cf35525455c057c7a1622b631c29-fitarnold.jpg
A young and huge Arnold

1. weight workout

Adjust your exercise to a Lifting for Beginners For beginners there is a great

method in which they can keep up with how much weight and exercise they are

supposed to do, and it is specially important that these people learn about

using a weight lifting chart, and if you are about to get into these kind of

exercises, then you should give a look to a weightlifting chart, it is an easy

and organized way in which you can arrange your exercising schedule and get the

best results from each and every one of your work outs.

2. jimmmy

yo, arnold, how are u a flabby. That is sad. You used to be buff and now u are getting laughed at because you are no longer tough.

3. axl2000

I just want to say this – look at that picture, it’s from 2008 summer – http://www.gry-online.pl/Galeria/Forum/1/285426218.jpg

4. keepitlow

While I have great respect for the king of golden age bodybuilding. It seems that most bodybuilders are into ego more than fitness. If they were into fitness first they would keep up with a healthy lifestyle. Arnold went downhill once he traded his gym membership for his egoistic political power desires.

“Just as a life of virtue yields its own reward, a life of vice yields its own punishment” – Plutarch – Priest of the Delphic Oracle circa 45 – 125 AD

5. sam

I herd a truck crashed into his house and was on top of his son so he was there holding it up for about an hour waiting for help and it destroyed his muscles.

6. chris

Haha i think its funny when losers try to put down people like arnold. Most of the haters are just jealous that they havn’t accomplished what he has. To come here with nothing then have everything. whoever faked those photos should be slapped.Arnold greatest BB of all time. No brainer

7. Johnny

1st, Stallone is not huge, he’s just in good shape. 2nd, HGH is what he was taking and HGH is not steroids. He first started taking HGH to repair damaged ligaments and joints from injuries sustained in stunts from his movies. He noticed the benefits of HGH (increased metabolism, which helped to speed fat burning, among other things)and continued to take it when he was training for Rocky Balboa. Australia doesn’t allow ANY kind of performance enhancing supplements; even over the counter stuff you get at you local GNC would be illegal there. Stallone had prescriptions for his HGH. He got in trouble more because he didn’t tell customs he had it than actually because he had it. The thought he was trying to sneak it in, but he simply didn’t know the law there and since he had a prescription, didn’t think it had to be reported that he had it. But I say again, HGH IS NOT STEROIDS. Stallone doesn’t even have the look of someone on roids. Age has very little to do with it. When you’ve been working out as long as he has muscle memory can help maintain a lot of your form. There are guys bodybuilding at 70 plus years old not taking roids and have the body of a 35-40 year old man in his prime. Even with roids you still have to work your ass off and diet correctly. Stallone has often stated he does not use steroids and never has. People are so ignorant when it come to talk about the human anotomy, which is ironic considering everyone has a body…

8. Johnny

Arnold did not take steroids for T3. He only used them in short stints in the ’70s. After his surgery he said he wouldn’t even touch the stuff and he trained using lighter weights and proper nutrition for T3. As great as he looked he only weighed about 225 while filming T3. And I met him in July of ’03 just a few days before t3 opened. Filming at that time had been complete for many months and Arnold was still huge. Explain that… Steroids? He just walks around pumping roids? People that don’t understand human anatomy always revert to steroids as a way to explain something they themselves can’t acheive…

9. Johnny

Trust me, they didn’t make Arnold ‘look’ in shape using CGI. 1st, you can tell CGI when you see it because it doesn’t look natural. Watch the Hulk movies. Second, I followed Arnold’s progress in all the muscle magazines when he was training for T3, pictures were all over back then. 3rd, I MET Arnold in Kuwait July 3rd 2003. I had just returned from the war and was in Kuwait readying to go home. I was up close and Arnold basically spoke about running for govenor for about 30 minutes or so. But he was huge then. He was wearing a tight blue T-shirt and from chest to back he looked as thick as a truck. He was in great shape. No CGI present then either…

10. arja

people who are really passionate of bodybuilding dont need any inspiration ..he did whatever he wanted to do with his body..you do whatever you want to do..

11. bobby

it doesnt matter fools..he is 7times mr.olympia..he lived his dream..he has seen and shown his body the way he fantasized..he proved himself.. he is still arnie the great and will for ever inspire youngsters

12. Jamie

Of course these pics are not fake. Arnie took a course of steroids to get in shape for T3 and it doesn’t take long when you know how to train properly, plus taking steroids.

13. james

these r fake because look a the link below this was taken in 06 after a sking accident u will see he still has his huge biceps

also take a look at these arnie facts

14. Chad

This is one of the recent photos released in the newspapers I can find. He was in of his ” flabbiest moments” such as sick lying in bed. As You can see him in a patient’s dress the bicep heads and the forearms he still has… THEY ARE STILL PRETTY HUGE. As you can see, they are PUMPED!

15. Bruce R.

I think that Arnold’s political pursuits have in part backfired. The negativity and corruption a politician has to face daily surely has some impact on the health of anyone. Look at many presidents after one or 2 terms in office…aging seems to accelerate.
    Back in the days of Arnold’s prime I worked out in the same gym and also at the Santa Monica outdoor facility where Arnold appeared regularly and Arnold certainly was an inspiration. I believe that Arnold kept his huge size too long. If he had reduced his muscle size at a younger age, his skin would have had enough elasticity to accomodate the reduced muscle size.
    I have experienced this for myself, as I did weigh 250# in the early 70’s as a heavy weight in the 242# olympic weight lifting class. After the 72 olympic trials I reduced my weight down to less than 200#, however I was only 29 years old. I have no loose skin or flab at age 64. In my opinion, the only way Arnold could fill the stretched skin, would to dramatically increase his muscle size. The problem seems that the body no longer can build muscle at the same rate when one approaches 60-65 without hgh or steroids. B.R.

16. Goldduster360

Those photos are bogus, here is some current Arnold info:

17. chand jee

it is totly fake picture becuse i have seen arond is still a great bodybuilder he has still lot off muscles so dont trust it.

18. a s cringle

come on dude, he didn`t know what a steroid was until he came to America, he already was a bodybuilding phenomenon before the steroids and can recoup his body with little effort if he chooses

19. Linds

Wait… what great men?

20. BicepsMan

FAKE FAKE FAKE

Always looser’s out there trying to put Great men in a bad light!

21. BicepsMan

These photos looks FAKE, I bet Arnold is Ripped and in fantastic shape, but of course not like in his 20s and 30s

22. Muscle Fast

The amazing thing about Arnie is that in a matter of month, he could literally transform his physique into something that would take the average person years to perfect…

23. RANDY

FOLKS, I THINK WE ARE MISSING THE WHOLE POINT ABOUT THESE PHOTOS. THE FACT THAT THEY ARE REAL OR FAKE DOES NOT MATTER. I MEAN LOOK WHAT ARNOLD HAS DONE IN HIS LIFETIME. HE CAME TO THIS COUNTRY AT AGE 21 WITH $50 IN HIS POCKET AND A DREAM TO BECOME THE GREATEST BODYBUILDER. HE WAS GIVEN AN AWARD FOR THE GREAT BODYBUILDER OF THE 20TH CENTURY, NOT THE BIGGEST OR THE BEST BUT THE GREATEST. BY AGE 30, HE WAS A MILLIONARE AND HAD ACCOMPLISHED MORE THAN MOST OF US WOULD IN A LIFE TIME. NOW ADD ON AN ACTING CAREER, A POLITICAL CAREER, AND A FAMILY. HOW THIS MAN CAN JUGGLE ALL OF THIS IS BEYOND ME. THE PUBLIC SHOULD NOT EXPECT ARNOLD NEARING 60 TO LOOK LIKE HE DID AT AGE 30. EVEN IF THESE PHOTOS ARE REAL, SO WHAT. THE GUY HAD HEART SURGERY AND HE IS ONE OF THE FEW ATHLETES WHO IS HONEST ENOUGH TO ADMIT THAT HE USED STEROIDS.

I STARTED AMATUER BODYBUILDING IN 1975 AT THE AGE OF 15 WHEN THE 1975 MR OLYMPIA WAS BEING FILMED FOR THE MOVIE PUMPING IRON. I AM NOW 47 AND ALTHOUGH I NEVER REACH MY POTENTIAL, I AM VERY GREATFULL TO ARNOLD FOR THE FOLLOWING. ALOT OF MY PEERS AT THAT TIME WERE GETTING INVOLVED IN DRUG AND ALCHOHOL ABUSE. BECAUSE OF ARNOLD’S INFLUENCE ON ME, I TURNED TO BODYBUIDING INSTEAD. FOR THIS READON ALONE, I AM GEATFULL TO HIM. ARNOLD IS NOT ONLY MY IDOL, HE IS MY HERO! HE HAS LIVED THE AMERICAN DREAM AND IS TRULY AN ICON. PERSONALLY, I THINK THAT ARNOLD SHOULD SLOW DOWN AND SPEND MORE TIME FOCUSSING ON HIS FAMILY AND HIS HEALTH. REMEMBER FOLKS, HEALTH IS WEALTH. THANK YOU.

24. Nezumi

to film rocky balboa he was taking some sort pills when he came down to Sydney they found drugs in hes luggage of course hes taking steroids if he didn’t he wouldn’t be that huge at that age…

25. erich

erich said:
    […]

Ryan you dumb ass arnold had an ectomorph skeleton but gained muscle like a bodybuilder. Get it right he was nothing near a endomorph. anyone can gain fat even ectomorphs especialy at his age. 90 % of you guys here dont even know wtf your saying.

RYAN YOU DUMB ASS ARNOLD WAS HAD A ECTOMORPH SKELETON FRAME AND GAINED MUSCLE LIKE A MESMORPH. sO HE HAD A MIXTURE OF ECTOMESMORPH. MUCH LIKE MYSELF. HE ATE RIGHT AND WORKED OUT RIGHT WHICH IS WHY HE BECAME SUCH AN ICON. HE KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING. HALF YOU PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD DON KNOW WTF YOUR TALKING ABOUT SO JUST SHUT UP AND READ BEFORE YOU MAKE STUPID REMARKS.

26. erich

Ryan said:
    Well, we all have our own genetic makeup. The theory is there are three body types: ectomorph, mesomorph, and endomorph. Ectomorphs have a hard time gaining muscle. Endomorphs have an easy time gaining fat. Mesomorphs have an easy time gaining muscle and losing fat. Each of us is a combination of these three.[…]

27. Joey Edgar

Anuparn Padalia
    November 21, 2005 4:54 AM
    I THINK SO THAT ARNOLD WAS A GREAT BODYBUILDER AND WHAT HE HAD ACHIEVED IS BECAUSE OF HIS HARDWORK AND HIS DEDICATION TO HIS AIM TO BECOME THE TOP MOST BODYBUILDERIN THE WORLD.ITS OUR GOODNESS TO HAVE SUCH AN INSPIRING PERSON BETWEEN US AND WE MUST LEARN GOOD QUALITIES OF ARNOLD. LOVE U ARNOLD. A GREAT FAN OF URS……GOD BLESS YOU.

Buddy, you are 100% right. Arnold hats off to you man!

28. Shannon Reed

I belive that photo of him was taken when he had his sking accident at Christmas time 2006 (Fractured Femur)if im not mistaken

29. Shannon Reed

Sorry Dude (reality Check )didnt see you supplied the link.

30. Shannon Reed

People I have found The Truth These Photos Are Fakes I will give you a link Just copy and paste in Google Images and look at the 2 fakes here it is.

He has lost a bit but nowhere near what the photos are showing.

31. Reality Check

THEY ARE FAKE, look at the pics I posted.

32. Reality Check

Come on guys don’t be so dumb it’s all fake. Look he’s still in shape, the first pic is the real one before editing.

This one was in 2006, you can definately see that he’s still in good shape I mean look at his guns hehe

33. mike baggett

Ok, it’s possible that the photos are fake. I hope they turn out to be just that. However, I’m in really good shape for a guy of 47. When I pump up in the home gym (I hate public gyms) I can make some really nice poses. But when I first get out of bed, there is no way I would allow myself to be photographed. Hey, you’ve got to get the lifeblood pumping!

If the photo is real, it is obvious by the disheveled, sleepy-eyed, lack of energy appearance that it was taken first thing upon Arnold’s arising.

As many of you may know, photos taken intended to be seen by the public are labored over and every effort including getting the proper type of posing trunks and color and correct lighting are worked at meticulously. Some models are even photographed upsidedown to defy gravity and appear even more firm or tight. Not to mention removing unsightly chest hair, leg hair and also applying posing oils to accent the muscle tone.

Take all of this into consideration before judging Arnold, if in fact this is Arnold.

Mike Baggett–and yes, you’d better use or lose it for sure.

34. Quito

Not only is he in better shape, but he has one of those all-time stressful jobs right now. There’s a reason that governors, presidents, senators, and other high-visibility public service people gain weight – even when they’re trying to be careful. Independent of their political agendas, President Bush keeping fit and Governor Huckabee getting fit are amazing accomplishments.

For more inspiration, go here.

35. Melsky

I think he looks better in the 2002 photo than in the young photo. Super huge muscles like that just don’t look good to me, they don’t look quite human.

36. Ozark

Thanks, Jan.

I believe they are real. They just look too good for fakes. It is exactly what he would look like if he was unable to exercise for at least 4 or 5 months. (I think – not my area of expertise, though.) So, no luck anybody with finding out their origin?

I’d like to know just in case somebody is really good with PS. Also, many posters here think they’re fake. I’ll keep looking and post here if I find out.

– Ozark

37. Jan

Ozark, they are real, but they were taken fairly shortly after he had the motorcycle accident that made him unable to work out. He is in shape again.

38. Ozark

GOOGLE experts – are you out there?
    I’ve spent hours trying to track this down and can’t find out the origin of these pictures. Arnold is my idol since 1977 and I HAVE to know – are these real pics? Someone please prove it either way!

39. jhatpat

he looked gr8 in T3….and these pics r taken b4 T3 as mentioned in d 2nd photo…..so i think this are all fake…very fake….