Fads come and go – but this one just keeps on coming. Stanley Burrough’s “Master Cleanser” (aka Lemonade Diet) continues to garner attention from all over the place.
Recently Beyoncé Knowles admitted to using a “Maple Syrup detox” (which led to a huge surge in popularity). Now the diet has even attracted the attention of the NY Times.
The Internet teems with testimonials to the cleanse, also known as the lemonade diet, claiming that it fights disease such as Candidiasis, clears the mind as well as acne, and increases energy. Bloggers chronicle their daily fasting. Master cleanse video diaries can be found on YouTube, and a cottage industry has developed with various companies peddling cleansing kits including all ingredients for the beverage except lemons.
The Master Cleanse appeared in a booklet by Stanley Burroughs in 1976. The booklet was called The Master Cleanser. The cleansing detox diet has always been popular due to word of mouth – but in 2004 was picked up and marketed by Peter Glickman.
The Master Cleanse
Indeed, the book states that at least 1/2 the weight will come back on after completing the diet. Many people incorrectly use this for fast weight loss. This is not what the diet is intended for.
Detox diets such as the lemonade diet are not for the faint-hearted. They are difficult to follow – typically because we are so addicted to food.
- 60 oz spring water per day (spread over 6 10 oz glasses)
- 12 tablespoons Organic Grade B Maple Syrup (or 2 tbsp. per glass)
- 12 tablespoons freshly squeezed organic lemon juice (or 2 tbsp. per glass)
- a little over half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper (or 1/10 tsp. per glass) or to taste
People experience varying degrees of success as their body begins to flush itself of toxins – but the first few days are hardest. Some only use the lemonade diet for 4-5 days, while others take it out to 2 weeks.
Lemonade Diet Kit
This kit includes everything you need to complete the lemonade diet or Master Cleanse.
- All ORGANIC ingredients needed for the Stanley Burroughs’ Master Cleanse Diet (except lemons) including FREE BOOK: The Complete Master Cleanse by Tom Woloshyn
- 32 oz Grade B Organic Maple Syrup (Bpa Free and Formaldehyde Free)
- 8 oz Organic compliant Sea Salt- Selina Naturally
- 90 capsules Certified Organic Cayenne Pepper (Capsicum annum) – Oregon Wild Harvest (1 Bottle – 90 GF, vegan capsules)
- 1 Box Organic “Smooth Move” Laxative Tea – Traditional Medicinals (1 Box of 16 tea bags) and 1 Box Organic Peppermint Tea – Traditional Medicinals (1 Box of 16 tea bags)
A typical herbal detox will do the following
- Dissolves and eliminates toxins that have formed in any part of the body
- Cleanse kidneys and digestive system
- Purifies the glands and cells
- Eliminate waste and hardened material in joints and muscles
- Relieves pressure and irritation in nerves, arteries and blood vessels
Possible Detox Reactions on the Master Cleanse
- Rashes and skin eruptions
- Aches and pains
- Food cravings
The only other foods consumed is a laxative tea (“Smooth Move”) twice a day, and a saline (sea salt) wash. The laxative may be required due to the lack of fiber in the diet that may lead to constipation.
Breaking the Fast
This must be done gently, by easing your way back into solid food. Vegetable soup is a good starter, and fruits and vegetables shouldn’t be started until the second day out of the juice fast.
Before doing the lemonade diet, Stanley Burroughs book (see below) is a must-read.
Master Cleanse Coach
The Master Cleanse Coach is written by Peter Glickman, who has been referred to as a modern-day guru of the Master Cleanse.
Glickman has personally coached over 2,000 people who have undertaken this detoxification program.
This book gives you all the information you need to undertake the Master Cleanse.
However, it is also written as a guide for those who wish to coach others through the procedure.
The Master Cleanse or lemonade diet should only be used for a short period of time or serious health problems could arise.